This department was established with the goal of preparing educators in Sino-Korean. Our main objectives are to :
- Prepare secondary schools educators to teach traditional values via a modern grounding of expertise in Sino-Korean
- Help students have a deep understanding of Sino-Korean by studying Chinese and Korean literature to enhance their knowledge of folk literature
- Focus on preparing educators to provide a balanced curriculum which can enable them to take part in traditional literary activities and to enroll in graduate schools.
The Archaic Sino-Korean of Sino-Korean Education has diligently accomplished its objectives since its establishment on September 22, 1979. We not only develop individuals into well-rounded scholars through deep understanding of traditional Sino-Korean literature, but we also educate prospective specialized secondary school teachers of which 30 students graduate every year. There are currently 504 graduates, 250 of whom are working as Sino-Korean teachers at secondary schools around the nation providing education on our folk culture. In addition, over 20 students have gone on to graduate school and currently work in professional research. Others are doing their parts in different sectors of society.
The predominate career that graduates pursue is as teachers at middle and high schools while others work in fields related to education. In addition, many also go on to graduate school to enter academia, while others are active in the public sector, in publishing, in the press, or in private companies. With our society’s ever-increasing emphasis on education based on communication and language abilities, graduates can also pursue careers at research centers for companies and government organizations, or become research specialists.
Education majors can also become education consultants or social education specialists.
KIM BONG NAM,Professor
- Korea Univ.
Song Pyung Nyul,Professor
- Sungkyunkwan Univ. Archaic Sion-Korean Education
Im Wan Hyuk,Professor
- Sungkyunkwan Univ. Sino-Korean Literature, Sion-korean novel
Jeong Eun Jin,Professor
- Sungkyunkwan Univ. The Criticism of Korean Literature in Chinese
sorted by the position and Korean name
Department Of Archaic Sino-korean Education
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 1- 1
- PRACTICAL SINO-KOREAN
- This is distinguished from the general Chinese course, focusing on learning of Chinese required in a daily life. Presently, most undergraduate students are not good at reading and writing the elementary Chinese characters, so this course aims at mastering Chinese which is available in an actual life. By teaching Chinese for the beginner and the intermediate level of student, this course will be helpful to their speech act, culture, and even an employment examination.
- SEMINAR FOR ACADEMIC LIFE
- 1. Summary of the course This course is to assist university freshmen in CRM designing to adapt university life well through the instruction and counselling of supervising professor. (This course is composed of self analysis, personality type test, career research, instruction for the success of university life, career plan and direction setting, CRM designing method and CRM designing. The course should be teaching in classes of the students by supervising professor.) 2. Course objectives This course is to motivate the students before the mid term exam and provide students with self analysis, personality type test (MBTI or TCI) and career research (YAT test). Also, this course shall has a plan to instruct the students to enhance the efficiency of university life through career and time management. In addition, this course is to make a chance for the students to have practical assistance to university life by providing study method, report designing strategy and the information on academic system and various kinds of internal programs of the university. After the mid term exam, the students will be instructed to set the direction of career designing through continuous counselling of supervising professor and the students will be able to establish CRM designing and execution plan.
- SOFTWARE AND AI
- Software and AI (Artificial Intelligence) course aims to educate the basic concepts of software and computational thinking to use them in various applications. It allows students of various majors to experience the core technologies of the 4th industrial revolution, such as big data, machine learning, and AI. It also introduces various applications of AI so that students can easily apply these technologies to their field of study. This course classifies the lecture types into three categories, and adjust the lecture difficulty according to the student's academic ability.
- INTRODUCTION TO CHINESE ORTHOGRAPHY
- Understanding the origin and structural features of Chinese letters and studying how ti transcribe, read and interpret them.
- THE WRITING AND LIFE OF THE ANCIENT SAGES
- Learn the lessons of today's life through the lives and writings of the sages who have made their names in history. In addition, it develops the ability to translate Chinese sentences. The objectives of the study are as follows. 1. Gain the lessons and wisdom of life through the lives and writings of the ancient sages. 2. Read the writings of the ancient sages. And develop the ability to translate Chinese characters.
- KOREAN HISTORY
- This lecture treats total Korean history internationally and help Koreans to have necessary knowledge and to establish their own identity in order to play in a global socity. This lecture is formed to assist people who study history for entering various government's organizations and large companies or Korean history cerification test.
- SOCIAL CONTRIBUTION AND SERVICE
- This course is to cultivate community sense as members of society and the global village for students in order to develop the basic knowledge required as global citizens. Especially, this course is to foster the spirit of cooperation, sharing, service, and creativity and study the social contribution and leadership to solving the challenges the global community faces. As a liberal arts course, it is centered to nurture a leader having the global capability to contribute to community development through learning the knowledge and the case on the value & logic of social responsibility focused on environmental preservation, social contribution, and good governance(ESG). This course aims to foster a generous mind, learn knowledge and technology and build the capacity to contribute to building a society towards a safer and happier world through the study of theory and practice.
- TALK OF FABLES AND PHRASES
- This is a reading course of fables and phrases which were formed in the development of literature, history, and art in Chinese cultural areas, such as China and Korea, finally aiming at reinterpreting the meanings of them with a modern perspective. This course enables students to read and write phrases associated with historical events and four letters phrases and improve their comprehension abilities.
- THE REDISCOVERY OF LEADERS THROUGH CLASSICS
- At this course presents the type which the leader who is the possibility of meeting from bitter fight is various and discusses. Morality and knowledge. Area and the world. About past and present width wide accident the position versification height thing with aim. At this course will lead and the student subject will own privately spontaneously and will boil and will change and world and the ancestor arranges the desirable leader as a matter of under contributing boil. The method which is concrete the southeastern Korea and Korea, the Orient and the West and tradition and today 3 kind territories which are in the center, morality, politics, history, culture, ideology, science, economy, medical science, religion, education, art and warfare, the woman and morality guides a time with subject and Changes the world excavates the type of bitter fight leader who leads and is translated the distinguished family market which presents, Chinese character and Chinese writing with exposure Sikkim about Chinese character and Chinese writing also the knowledge is in parallel and piles up and is. Reads the bitter fight where the Chinese writing is exposed and applies with to meet the leader who guides a time, from him the leader of oneself about Chinese writing also the conduct will pile up line making the process naturally and a thing
- INTRODUCTION TO EDUCATION
- This course is an introductory course in Education for prospective teachers, regardless of their major and/or special subjects. This is one of the necessary requirements for teacher candidates being educated in colleges other than the college of education in Korea. The course is to study the various paradigms and concepts of education, representing different views on aim, content and method of education. A particular emphasis is given to identifying theoretical questions of education in order to grasp the problems of Korean education and find out their solutions.
- LECTURE OF BASIC CHINESE CHARACTERS
- Learn the basic Chinese characters, short Chinese characters, Chinese phrases and some parts of scripture, to clean the basics of Chinese characters. The objectives of the study are as follows. 1. Understand the principle of making Chinese characters, the original meaning of Chinese characters, and the change of meaning. 2. To understand the basic structure and basic grammar of Chinese sentences and use them for the translation of Chinese characters. 3. Understand the meanings contained in the passages of Chinese poems and Confucian scriptures.
- INTRODUCTION TO SINO-KOREAN LITERATURE
- An exploration of the concepts and significance of Sino-Korean Literature, with focus put on varions genres such as verse, prose, and novels.
- READING IN CLASSICAL CHINESE POETRY
- selected readings in classical poems written in Korean and China for a better understanding of Chnese poetry
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 2- 1
- EDUCATIONAL PSYCHOLOGY
- This course is an introductory course in the Educational Psychology for prospective teachers being educated in colleges other than the college of education in Korea. It is an undergraduate course to help prospective teachers understand the basic principles of psychological processes involved in the various aspects of educational practices. It includes learner? characteristics, educational environment, learning and instruction, and evaluation of instructional outcomes.
- EDUCATIONAL SOCIOLOGY
- This course is an introductory course in the Sociology of Education for prospective teachers being educated in colleges other than the college of education in Korea. This is one of the necessary requirements for teacher candidates. An emphasis is given to the understanding of basic concepts and theories in the field.
- This course is a study of fundamental philosophies, knowledge, and techniques for guiding adolescents toward their better lives. It is to study the practical considerations for the growth of adolescents affective, humanistic domains. A course designed to learn foundational concepts, major principles, major treatment of guidance and counseling, and to discuss its theoretical and practical implications. Emphasis is placed on providing theoretical foundations to deal with human problems through educational counseling, and to pursue counseling theories, practical processes, and techniques.
- CHANGES IN THE FUTURE CHINESE CHARACTERS EDUCATION ENVIRONMENT AND TEACHERS
- This course is designed to develop the ability of Chinese characters teachers to respond actively and appropriately to the rapidly changing educational environment, including the reduction of the number of school-age people, entry into multicultural society, and rapid change in the information technology society. The objectives of the study are as follows. 1. Take a constant interest in the changes in the educational environment and explore what are the changes in the environment that need to be reflected in the contents of Chinese characters education. 2. Understand the history of Chinese characters and curriculum changes according to the changes in the Chinese language education environment, and discuss how the curriculum will be able to respond to the changing environment in the future 3. Understand the factors that make up the expertise of Chinese-language teachers and discuss the duties and qualifications of Chinese characters teachers newly required in accordance with the changing educational environment. 4. To understand the human resources award and competency required in future society, and explore the role of Chinese characters teachers in fostering them and effective teaching methods.
- CHINESE CHARACTER AND LIFE IN 21ST CENTURY
- We bring up Y type men of talent who have practical and professional capability in the process that connects a traditional life of Chinese character department with a life in 21st century. This makes it possible to foster human nature on their own, by internalizing language life, ceremonies of coming of age, marriage, funeral and ancestral worship(冠婚喪祭), food, clothing and shelter(衣食住) and Chinese character cultere that is in literatures. Through the internalization of Chinese character culture, it makes them develop and utilize literary contents in 21st century.
- READING OF THE ANALECTS OF CONFUCIUS
- By reading the Analects, a classic of Confucianism, one understands the Confucius thought, personality, and education. And develop the ability to translate Chinese characters.
- SELECTED READINGS IN CHINESE HISTORY
- Reading major works of Chinese history to understand stylistic features and historical views.
- READING IN THE KOREAN CHINESE NOVELS
- Discussion and analysis of the content of the Chinese Novels developed in various forms.
- CAREER DESIGN AND FIELD TRAINING
- This course provides systematic and continuous consultation and guidance on the achievements and career of CRM (Career Road Map) designed by the students after admission. The course is also designed to enhance the students’ field education capacity to actively cope with the educational environment in the rapidly changing circumstances, the knowledge based society of the 21st century and the society for the fourth industrial revolution. Through this course, students will experience field training such as special lectures, video materials, and multicultural education in accordance with their career and major.
- EDUCATIONAL ADMINISTRATION & MANAGEMENT
- This course is an introductory course in the Educational Administration and School Management for prospective teachers. This is one of the necessary requirements for teacher candidates being educated in colleges other than the college of education. The course is to study the classical organizational thoughts in relation to education, definitions, basic concepts, and hypotheses regarding educational administration, major tasks and process of educational administration, and theories of administrative behaviors, and to understand the school and classroom management.
- PREVENTION OF SCHOOL VIOLENCE AND UNDERSTANDING OF SCHOOL CULTURE
- Students will acquire an understanding of the various factors, actual state, the legislative system of school violence. Students will have an opportunity to relate this knowledge about prevention and measures of school violence to school environment using students guidance, parents interview, and human lights education. This information about violence behavior, student cultures, counseling methods, and the implications that social and contemporary legislative policies play will create greater understanding in the field of school violence.
- READING OF THE MENCIUS
- Learning one of the most important classics of Eastern thought, Mencius is to understand its contents and to develop the ability to translate Chinese characters
- SELECTED READINGS IN SILLA & KORYO DYNASTY PROSE
- This course is devoted to the study of the prosaic literature of the age of the three kingdoms and the period of Koryo. General knowledge of their aesthetic characteristics and historical progress.
- TOPICS IN SINO-KOREAN NOVEL
- Understand Chinese novels through reading Chinese classics in Korea and related materials
- ARCHAIC CHINESE GRAMMAR
- designed to study the linguistic on Classical_Chinese.
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 3- 1
- ACTUAL AFFAIRS FOR TEACHING PROFESSION
- This course is for future teacher to understand actual affairs for teaching profession such as classroom management, teaching technique, guidance and counselling, processing official documents, etc.
- EDUCATIONAL CURRICULUM
- This course emphasizes on general principles and procedures of construction, development and evaluation of school curriculum. Students are expected to develop a sense of reality with regard to the actual curriculum implementation in elementary and secondary schools.
- EDUCATIONAL EVALUATION
- This course emphases on the relations between school learning and appropriate types of evaluation. It includes theories of reliability and validity, achievement test construction, and interpretation of test results. Introduction to modern theories of measurement techniques and instruments for cognitive, affective and psycho-motor domain; practical introduction to the techniques of tests, such as construction of tests, scoring, reliability, validity, and item analysis.
- READING IN HISTORICAL CLASSICAL-CHINESE PROSE
- Readings and discussion of selected Historical Classical-Chinese Prose with some attention to the social contexts of the times.
- HISTORY OF SINO_KOREAN LITERATURE
- Invite nationally of internationally famous scholars and give special lectures upon the most current theories not included in the other courses Selected Readings in Ancient Chinese Philosophers Understanding the origin and schools of the Oriental Thought by reading literary materials of Confucianism, Taoism, Mukga and Bubga, which were amomg the Jejabackga which originated during the Chinese Chunchu Jungook Era.
- PRACTICE OF SINO-KOREAN TRANSLATION
- This course aims to offer the deft skill to draw correct and precise translation of the best classics of Hanmun into Korean, for those students who intend to study Hanmun are given the duty to contribute to Korean society through the rich, various translation of the best of ancient works of art. For this reason, this class focuses upon the technique to raise students' translation ability.
- TOPICS IN SINO-KOREAN EDUCATION
- This subject learns principle of Archaic Sino-Korean education with a theory.
- EDUCATIONAL METHODS & TECHNOLOGY
- This course is an introductory course in the Teaching Method and Educational Technology for prospective teachers. This is one of the necessary requirements for teacher candidates being educated technology course for the subject matter oriented education students. A general information of the field, theory, and profession of instructional technology will be introduced. The definition of instructional technology, the history of the field, and the current trends and issues in the area will be investigated. Students develop competencies in appling media and technologies to instruction. This course emphasize the method of instruction as well as educational technology.
- EDUCATIONAL PHILOSOPHY & HISTORY
- This course in one of the necessary requirements for teacher candidates being educated in colleges other than the College of Education in Korea. Hence, its main purpose lies in the introduction to the general history and philosophy of education both in the East and in the West from the ancient to the modern ages. Historical development of educational system, philosophical thoughts of education, and their influences and implications to our modern education are to be understood.
- INTRODUCTION TO SPECIAL EDUCATION
- This lecture is for leading students in the field of education to effective education with which students(pre-teachers) can better understand and perform the integrating education. Therefore this lecture aims to train students(pre-teachers) to develop an ability of understanding students with disabilities and of performing integrating education.
- SELECTED READINGS IN CLASSICAL CHINESE POETRY
- They select and read poems from the Goryeo and Joseon periods. And they understand the meaning of poetry and develop the ability to decipher Chinese poetry.
- METHOD & RESEARCH OF SINO-KOREAN TEACHING MATERIALS
- Analyzes the middle & high school Chinese character teaching material and the way which teaches. And the ability as teacher Archaic Sino-Korean will be learns.
- READING OF SINO-KOREAN CLASSICS
- Covers the most valuable one hundred classics in Chinese literature with the greater part of the lecture on their weight and significance in the history of Chinese literature.
- SELECTED READINGS IN YI-DYNASTY PROSE
- Select and read a variety of well-known proses written in yi-Dynasty to improve students’s reading comprehension.
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 4- 1
- SCHOOL FIELD PRACTICE
- School field practice is a field education subject where students actually experience the roles and functions that teachers must perform in the secondary school. In this course,students can develop their preparatory skills as a teacher by accumulating practical experiences on overall school education such as teaching - learning guidance, life guidance, class management and so on through experiences in the field of education.
- CHINESE CLASSICS AND SINO_KOREAN LITERATURE
- This is for introducing comprehensive view of Chinese classics by covering Korean and Chinese major classical literature.
- CLASSICAL SINO-KOREAN POETRY
- Improvement of the ability to appreciate and evaluate Sino-Korean poetry through a synthetic and analytical understanding of the general principles of poetry and studying its own peculiar methods of expression.
- TOPICS IN SINO-KOREAN CRITICISM
- Read theoretical literature of prose within Chinese and Korea and learn the fact of Chinese classics' criticism through comments.
- UNDERSTANDED IN ANCIENT CHINESE PHILOSOPHERS
- Students will come to understand origins and schools of oriental ideas by reading selective works of famous scholars.
- UNDERSTANDED OF KOREAN HISTORY PROSE
- Select and read classical Korean history prose texts to help students improve their ability to understand them. Sino-Korean Phonology Practice Understand-ing the historical change of Sino-Korean sounds and learning how to teach them effectively.
- THE LOGIC AND WRITING OF ARCHAIC SINO-KOREAN
- Investigates the logic which is various listening in prose of Archaic Sino-Korean critically and subjects or the comprehensive faculty, improved application power, analytic power, analytic thinking etc. about assertions.
- EDUCATIONAL VOLUNTEER ACTIVITIES
- This subject includes acting as assistant teachers in kindergartens or primary and middle schools, acting as teachers' helpers, or conducting volunteer work. The goal of the course is to help future educators foster the development of educational attainments.