The Department of Police Administration fosters leader with academic knowledge and character generally pursued by college education, which is known as the 'cradle of intellectuals', and educates expert administrators of police organizations aimed maintaining safety and order in our society by effectively preventing and responding to various harms and crimes that occur in our rapidly changing social environment.
An academic approach is made on police studies including the organization, personnel and planning of the Korean police, criminology for crime prevention and crime suppression as safety activities for the society, police law for invoking police power, and criminal law as a crime response system to acquire various and specialized knowledge through systemized education. In addition to this, students are given the opportunity to develop even further academically to respond to the age of globalization, localization and informationization, while enhancing the conflict resolving abilities, efficient resource management abilities, and assertive work conduct abilities needed in police organizations, administrative organizations and the private sector.
As stated above, the Department of Police Administration aims at exploring the overall academic discipline starting with police administration based on the character that intellectual should have, and furthermore, contribute in fostering expert human resources to meet the demands of not only the police, but administrative organizations and the legal sector.
Detailed Educational Goal
- Train police executives with a clear sense of duty
- Train senior public officials through police, public administration and legal studies
- Train various public officials based on the spirit of serving
- Enroll in law school based on studies in various fields such as criminology and investigational studies
- Senior police officers and police officers
- High ranking positions at the National Information Service, Court, Prosecutor's office and fire departments, etc
- Senior positions in correctional and private security
- High ranking positions through various national examinations
- Enrollment in law school or studying abroad
Sung, Do Kyung,Professor
- Temple Univ. Public Administration Theory, Quantitative Analysis
- Eberhard - Karls - Univ. Tuebingen Policelaw
Kim Dong Lyoul,Associate Professor
- Ludwig-Maximilians-Universitaet Muenchen Criminal law
sorted by the position and Korean name
Department Of Police Administration
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 1- 1
- CRIME IN MODERN SOCIETY
- LAW OF LIFE
- This course is designed to introduce students fundamental legal concepts and skills which are useful in relating various legal troubles arising in our daily life. This curriculum deals with major cases relating to civil law, commercial law, criminal law, and constitutional law.
- SEMINAR FOR ACADEMIC LIFE
- 1. Summary of the course This course is to assist university freshmen in CRM designing to adapt university life well through the instruction and counselling of supervising professor. (This course is composed of self analysis, personality type test, career research, instruction for the success of university life, career plan and direction setting, CRM designing method and CRM designing. The course should be teaching in classes of the students by supervising professor.) 2. Course objectives This course is to motivate the students before the mid term exam and provide students with self analysis, personality type test (MBTI or TCI) and career research (YAT test). Also, this course shall has a plan to instruct the students to enhance the efficiency of university life through career and time management. In addition, this course is to make a chance for the students to have practical assistance to university life by providing study method, report designing strategy and the information on academic system and various kinds of internal programs of the university. After the mid term exam, the students will be instructed to set the direction of career designing through continuous counselling of supervising professor and the students will be able to establish CRM designing and execution plan.
- SOFTWARE AND AI
- Software and AI (Artificial Intelligence) course aims to educate the basic concepts of software and computational thinking to use them in various applications. It allows students of various majors to experience the core technologies of the 4th industrial revolution, such as big data, machine learning, and AI. It also introduces various applications of AI so that students can easily apply these technologies to their field of study. This course classifies the lecture types into three categories, and adjust the lecture difficulty according to the student's academic ability.
- UNDERSTANDING OF PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
- This course introduces the basic theory and practice of public administration in modern society. Students will learn the basic theory of public administration including public policy, public organization, personnel administration, financial administration, administrative ethics, and administrative reform, etc.. In addition to that, this course produces understanding and analyzing several problems of Korean public administration.
- ENGLISH READINGS 1 FOR POLICE ADMINISTRATION
- The purpose of this course is to improve student's English ability so that it can be applied to the theory and practice of police administration, through the study of interpretation, writing, and conversation related to police administration.
- POLICE DEFENSIVE TACTICS (Ⅰ)
- This course is composed of theory, philosophy, principle, and basic skills of Self-defense. The main goal is to cultivate rigorous mind and body required to carry out various police operations.
- SOCIAL CONTRIBUTION AND SERVICE
- This course is to cultivate community sense as members of society and the global village for students in order to develop the basic knowledge required as global citizens. Especially, this course is to foster the spirit of cooperation, sharing, service, and creativity and study the social contribution and leadership to solving the challenges the global community faces. As a liberal arts course, it is centered to nurture a leader having the global capability to contribute to community development through learning the knowledge and the case on the value & logic of social responsibility focused on environmental preservation, social contribution, and good governance(ESG). This course aims to foster a generous mind, learn knowledge and technology and build the capacity to contribute to building a society towards a safer and happier world through the study of theory and practice.
- UNDERSTANDING OF PSYCHOLOGY
- The purpose of this course is to provide an overview of the scientific understanding of human behavior and mind. Topics will include the biological basis of behavior, learning and memory, social behavior, human development, and individual differences. Throughout the course, we will examine both the basic concepts and major findings of contemporary psychology. This course is designed to help students both understand their own thinking and behavior.
- CRIMINAL LAW I
- This course examines the historical basis of the crime, criminal law system, the substantive elements of crimes, and tasks and functions of criminal law.
- INTRODUCTION OF PUBLIC ADMINSTRATION
- Students will learn in-depth study related to the basic theory of public administration. (2008~) To be more specific, this course introduces the value problems such as public interest, justice, rationality, effectiveness, and redundancy, and market and government failure, government regulation, privatization, public choice theory and new institutionalism, etc.
- POLICE DEFENSIVE TACTICS(Ⅱ)
- Based on the basic physical power, this course provides the basis for the technical learning and spirit cultivation required for the performance of police’s duty.
- PRINCIPLES OF CIVIL LAW
- As a course to learn about the basic knowledge on principles of the civil law, students learn various kinds of legal principles and institution such as leading principles of civil law, rights and duties of all concerned, change of rights, expecially legal action, etc.
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 2- 1
- CONSTITUTIONAL LAW I
- This course introduces the basic principles and historical development process of constitution, which is the supreme law of constitutional government, and studies the types, contents, limitations, and validity of people's fundamental rights.
- CRIMINAL PROCEDURE LAW Ⅰ
- By understanding the basic concept and principle of criminal procedure and examining contents of criminal procedure including the basic theory and investigation procedure of criminal procedure law, this course tries to learn basic normal system related to application procedures of criminal procedure law.
- POLICE DEFENSIVE TACTICS(Ⅲ)
- This course is composed of theory, philosophy, principle, and basic skills of Martial Art. The main goal is to cultivate skills of criminal arrest while learning how to protect oneself during arresting operations.
- CRIMINAL LAW II
- This is a course made to analyze and apply individual composition requisite regard to various kinds of crimes. It mainly examines the crime and judicial precedents and cases related to individual and national benefit and protection of the law.
- INTRODUCTION TO POLICE SCIENCE
- This course focuses on systematical comprehending the role of police that is responsible for public security and order. For that this course offers basic contexts of Police such as concept and function of police, idea and philosophy of police administration and structure and efficient management of police organization.
- CAREER DESIGN
- 1. Summary of the course This course is to let the students to set the career goal at the early stage of university life through systematic and continuous counselling and instruction on CRM achievement and change of career designed by the students after the admission to the university. This course is to let the students attain career management method and edit, complement and confirm the CRM in a systematic manner by self analysis and analysis of employment competence while the course is being taught. Also, this course is to utilize video lecture as the secondary teaching material to let the students have competency in employment. 2. Course objectives This course is to assist to the enrolled students in designing their own employment plan for themselves by the education of drafting application materials for employment (resume, statement of purpose and application forms), communication skills and presentation skills. Furthermore, the course ultimate goal of guiding the students to systematically design (manage) CRM at each grade of the university with the counselling by the supervising professor until the time of graduation.
- CONSTITUTIONAL LAW Ⅱ
- This course provides individual human rights on the base of basic principles, contents, legal effect and limit of the rights, which the supreme law of constitutional government guarantees. Especially this course covers contents, legal limitations and validity of individual human rights and decision of the constitutional court.
- CRIMINAL LAW Ⅲ
- This is a course made to analyze and apply individual composition requisite regard to various kinds of crimes. It mainly examines the crime and judicial precedents and cases related to social benefit and protection of the law.
- ENGLISH READINGS 2 FOR POLICE ADMINISTRATION
- Like English Readings 1 for Police Administration, the purpose of this course is to improve reading and understanding abilities of current articles and researches trends related to police administration, and increase the ability to deal with foreigners more efficiently.
- POLICE DEFENSIVE TACTICS(Ⅳ)
- The purpose of this course is to learn various advanced techniques required for the performance of police’s duty, and actualize strong and friendly imagination of police through the various spiritual training such as endurance and patience exercise, etc.
- POLICE PUBLIC SAFETY & POLICE TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT
- This course focuses on more systematical comprehending the role of police that is responsible for public security and order. For that this course offers more in-depth contexts of police administration such as concept and function of police, idea and philosophy of police administration and structure and efficient management of police organization.
- CRIMINAL PROCEDURE LAW Ⅱ
- By examining the legal devices and various kinds of judicial precedents of criminal procedures law for the human right, this course tries to learn basic normal system of criminal procedure law as procedural law.
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 3- 1
- ADMINISTRATIVE LAW I
- As the course which deals with the administrative law, which rules the specific execution on public law, students will learn the general principle and basic conception of administrative law, various kinds of principles, and special legal relationships, etc. proportion as well as administrative action for the benefits of citizen, and etc.
- POLICE ARREST TACTICS(Ⅰ)
- Through this course, students learn the basic criminal arrest process and technique, and self-protecting ability needed for the performance of police duty.
- POLICE SECURITY & POLICE INTELLIGENCE MANAGEMENT
- This course is designed to enhance the understanding of police activities based on the knowledge of police science, law, and public administration. Since the content and procedural process of police activities on guard, investigation, traffic, security, etc., are different, this course, therefore, covers the legitimate activities of police based on the knowledge of police science, law, and public administration. legitimate
- SEMINAR IN CRIMINAL LAW
- This course analyzes the cause and condition of the various kinds of crimes, and studies the various arguments related to the countermeasures to prevent crimes. And it also intends to enhance the understanding of policies related to the prevention and repression of crimes.
- This course provides a basic understanding of the complex factors related to crime, with concentration on such as crime trend, cause of crime, research in criminology, and policy in criminal justice, and principal theoretical approaches to the explanation of crime.
- ADMINISTRATIVE LAW II
- This course is designed to study the specific administrative action in administrative law relationship, practical effect ensuring plan on administrative action, the people's right to demand compensation on administrative action, and law suit, etc.
- CRIMINAL PSYCHOLOGY
- This course aims to study the areas of criminal psychology such as theories on crime motive, psychological examination and test methods of criminal, and theories and case studies of criminal behavior, etc.
- POLICE ARREST TACTICS(Ⅱ)
- This course is an advanced training of self-defense whose main goal is to foster high level of criminal control skills. Advanced level of self-defense abilities are expected through strenuous training and practice.
- PRACTICE IN POLICE DEPARTMENT
- This course aims to harmonize theories with practices by practicing knowledges learned in class at police department/agency.
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 4- 1
- INTRODUCTION TO PRIVATE SECURITY
- This course aims to understand the importance of private security which becomes more and more important as the limited service provision of public sector, and provides a chance to study issues in private security including, research in private security, legal issues, and types of private security, etc.
- POLICE AND THE LAW
- The purpose of this course is to integrate theoretical and practical aspects of police administration. Controversial issues of various police administration fields and areas will be selected and discussed.
- THEORY OF JUVENILE DELINQUENCY
- This course covers the gradual increasing juvenile delinquency in modern society because of the social polarization issue and the weakened informal social control. Particularly analyzes this course academically reasons of juvenile delinquency, studies the counterplan as protection, penalty etc. and the role of police.
- POLICE LAW
- By examining the basic concept, institution, history, and types of police, this course aims to increase the understanding of police laws related to the organization and function, etc,, of police, and acquire the ability and technology to apply in actual practice more democratically and legally.
- THEORY OF CRIMINAL PREVENTION
- This course provides the theoretical and legal basic knowledge of the police' patrol and crime prevention guidance, etc., to prevent crime, and studies and analyzes the related practical cases.
- CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION
- This course covers the major components of criminal investigation such as principles of investigation, intelligence collection, autopsy, and criminal identification with special attention to the scientific aspects of criminal investigation and the investigation cases according to crime types, and investigation procedure, etc.
- DISTINGUISHED SELF DEFENSE MARTIAL ART
- This course is designed to learn the distinguished and special skills based on 3 years of self-defense martial art “HAPKIDO” and “Kendo.” Particularly, student will practice the skills to control the offenders who attack with knife.
- POLICE AND THE COMMUNITY
- This course is designed to learn police activity based on community policing, particularly meaning, necessity, and precise action plan. Following topics will be discussed: - The Need for Proper Police-Community Relationships - Police and Minority Communities - Community Crime Prevention Programs - Cooperate Strategies for Policing - Problem-Solving Policing progress - Case Studies on the Successful Community Policing Since lecture is done by English, the original US police training book will be used. As the class is related to the actual work of the police, many case studies and discussions will be utilized to improve students' critical thinking skills.
- SEMINAR IN PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
- The aim of this course is to integrate theoretical and practical aspects of public administration. Controversial issues of various public administration fields and areas will be selected and discussed.
- This course is designed to provide comprehensive understanding about issues in victimology, such as characteristics of victim, types of victim, responsibility of victim, self-defense of victim, fear of victim, protection of victim in criminal procedure, and victim compensation system, etc.