The Department of History enhances the student's broad understanding of mankind and the world as well as academic thinking abilities through comprehensive and systematic programs on world history in order to achieve its goal of achieving well-balanced knowledge on history.
In particular, we strive to overcome the blind patriotism and nationalism in response to the internationalization and globalization era, while objectifying Korean history within world history.
It is generally categorized as either Eastern or Western history, in which Chinese history, Japanese history, Silk Road history and Northeast Asian history is included in Eastern, while British, American, French, German and Russian history are included in Western. Furthermore, because of the characteristics of foreign history, there are many students who double major in language courses such as Chinese, Japanese, English, French etc. In addition, students can also take courses in interpreting cultural properties and working in museums.
After graduation, students can use their vast historical perspectives and rich education and linguistic abilities to work as educators, researchers and in fields related to international exchange and trade.
The Department of History was established at the founding of Yeungnam University when Daegu University and Cheonggu University was integrated.
The goal of the Department of History was to help students and intellectuals in the Daegu and Yeungnam region understand the humanistic value that human spirits have pursued through past and current historical cases in the East and West via studying history, while also helping students establish a historical conception in order to set the direction for the future.
History, which examines the actual facts behind cases in the past and human relationships, is the basis for various academic fields such as liberal arts and social sciences. In addition, it identifies the general flow of the Zeitgeist and therefore, history is a comprehensive science.
The Department of History was a general history department that included Korean history, Eastern history and Western history at the time of establishment. In 1973, because of the trends of the time, there was no choice but to separate the Korean history field to the Korean history department, and therefore the Department of History had to temporarily change its name to the 'Department of Foreign History'.
After the separation of the Korean history department, the Department of History was operated with a curriculum focusing on world history based on Eastern and Western history. In 1975, it was returned to its original name of Department of History.
In January 1973, the Department of History opened master's degree programs and in January 1975, it opened PhD courses making it become a main player in the studies of humanities, and gained the opportunity to develop into a more matured stage. After 1973, the Department of History graduated 1,100 undergraduates, 42 masters and 19 PhDs as of 2004.
After graduation, students go on to work in educational and research institutions such as universities, museums and secondary schools, while some utilize their knowledge on the international world that they have learned at the Department of History to work as public employees or in the media or companies.
Some graduates go on to graduate school to continue their studies in history and earn their Master's or PhD in Eastern and Western history research.
This department selects outstanding graduates and recommends them to public and private secondary schools, press, government institutions and companies.
Education, publishing, press, research center, museum, corporate administration department, politics, economics, culture.
Instructor Certifications: 4 selected for history courses.
- Seoul National Univ. Asian History
Ryu Jun Hyoung,Associate Professor
- Peking Univ.(China)
CHO MYUNG KEUN,Associate Professor
- Korea Univ.
HWANG HYE JEAN,Assistant Professor
- Univ. of Warwick
sorted by the position and Korean name
Department Of History
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 1- 1
- CONVERGENCE- AND INTEGRATION-BASED THINKING AND WRITING
- The ability of analyzing and solving problems is emphasized as one of the conditions for survival in the 21st century and one of the core elements of creative capabilities. This course was designed to cultivate convergence- and integration-based creative capabilities, which are integrated problem-solving capabilities to collect, analyze and process knowledge and information by reinforcing the ability of analyzing and solving problems, recreate it in a synthetic fashion, and express it effectively through speech and writing. The course will help the students cultivate their synesthesia thinking and communication skills based on sympathy with other human beings, understanding of the community, and positivity or Gongseong that is sought after by Yeungnam University. Its ultimate goals are to promote the students' creative knowledge development and reinforce their writing capabilities consistently through "convergence- and integration-based thinking and writing as a problem-solving approach."
- PRACTICAL ENGLISH
- The aim of the course is to help students develop basic English verbal skills in real life situations. The course will be co-taught by Korean and Native English instructors. Korean instructors will provide students with basic English structure, vocabulary, and expressions, and students will be encouraged to practice speaking English utilizing basic English structures. Students will further practice expressing themselves in English with native English instructors.
- PRACTICAL SINO-KOREAN
- This is distinguished from the general Chinese course, focusing on learning of Chinese required in a daily life. Presently, most undergraduate students are not good at reading and writing the elementary Chinese characters, so this course aims at mastering Chinese which is available in an actual life. By teaching Chinese for the beginner and the intermediate level of student, this course will be helpful to their speech act, culture, and even an employment examination.
- SEMINAR FOR ACADEMIC LIFE
- 1. Summary of the course This course is to assist university freshmen in CRM designing to adapt university life well through the instruction and counselling of supervising professor. (This course is composed of self analysis, personality type test, career research, instruction for the success of university life, career plan and direction setting, CRM designing method and CRM designing. The course should be teaching in classes of the students by supervising professor.) 2. Course objectives This course is to motivate the students before the mid term exam and provide students with self analysis, personality type test (MBTI or TCI) and career research (YAT test). Also, this course shall has a plan to instruct the students to enhance the efficiency of university life through career and time management. In addition, this course is to make a chance for the students to have practical assistance to university life by providing study method, report designing strategy and the information on academic system and various kinds of internal programs of the university. After the mid term exam, the students will be instructed to set the direction of career designing through continuous counselling of supervising professor and the students will be able to establish CRM designing and execution plan.
- SOLUTION OF KOREAN HISTORY
- The main purpose of this subject is to acquire ways of historical thought that help people penetrate into the present and prospect for the future based on our past by understanding general system of korean history. In order to achieve such a target, we should go over some methodologies about Korean history with a critical view. In addition, the work to elucidate the development of Korean history and its motive power will be conducted by presenting synthetic analysis of politics, economy, social culture on each event in the historical transition from the ancient age to the moderm age.
- UNDERSTANDING OF ASIAN HISTORY
- To lern the basic historical structure of asian history from the dassic ancient period to the present, to introduce the main historical heritage, materials and literatures of the asian history.
- ELEMENTARY JAPANESE LANGUAGE(1)
- The target audience of Basic Japanese (1) is students who have never learned Japanese language before. The purpose of this course is to let student learn a Japanese alphabetical system called Hiragana/Katakana. Next, this class will give students an introduction to Japanese grammar and conversation skills. At the end of semester, students are expected to have a basic understanding of Japanese language as well as culture.
- SOCIAL CONTRIBUTION AND SERVICE
- This course is to cultivate community sense as members of society and the global village for students in order to develop the basic knowledge required as global citizens. Especially, this course is to foster the spirit of cooperation, sharing, service, and creativity and study the social contribution and leadership to solving the challenges the global community faces. As a liberal arts course, it is centered to nurture a leader having the global capability to contribute to community development through learning the knowledge and the case on the value & logic of social responsibility focused on environmental preservation, social contribution, and good governance(ESG). This course aims to foster a generous mind, learn knowledge and technology and build the capacity to contribute to building a society towards a safer and happier world through the study of theory and practice.
- SOFTWARE AND AI
- Software and AI (Artificial Intelligence) course aims to educate the basic concepts of software and computational thinking to use them in various applications. It allows students of various majors to experience the core technologies of the 4th industrial revolution, such as big data, machine learning, and AI. It also introduces various applications of AI so that students can easily apply these technologies to their field of study. This course classifies the lecture types into three categories, and adjust the lecture difficulty according to the student's academic ability.
- HISTORY RESEARCH AND PRACTICAL SKILLS
- As a student of history major, students will develop basic academic skills including ability to understanding foreign languages and method to do individual research that they must have. It helps students to gain a deeper understanding of history.
- KOREAN HISTORY FOR ACADEMIC FIELD TRIP
- For the purpose of academic field trip practice, students will examine the whole period history of Korea and enhance their understanding of cultural heritage, and simultaneously experience various historical sites.
- THE INTRODUCTION OF DIGITAL HUMANITIES AND HISTORICAL RESEARCH
- UNDERSTANDING OF WESTERN HISTORY
- To lern the basic historical structure of westrn history from the dassic ancient period to the present, to introduce the main historical heritage, materials and literatures of the western history.
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 2- 1
- EAST ASIAN REGIONAL HISTORY FOR ACADEMIC FIELD TRIP
- For the purpose of academic field trip practice, students will examine the history of each region in East Asia, including China, Japan, and Southeast Asia, and experience various historical sites.
- INTRODUCTION TO HISTORY
- An introduction to study the historical methodology, basic concepts and history of ideas of history, to learn major l iteratures of western historigraphy and to develop the skill to read and write historical papers
- READINGS IN WESTERN HISTORY
- Training of ability in reading historical materials in western languages and interpreting critically the theses posed in the materials.
- SOCIETY AND CULTURE IN CHOSUN HISTORY
- In this calss, study society and culture that was examine in Chosun especially socioeconomic foundation of succession, relationship.
- UNDERSTANDING OF KOREAN HISTORY'S MATERIAL
- This course explains all material and books based on study in Korean history, train editing structure, course and collecting construction of historical materials.
- ANCIENT ASIAN HISTORY
- This subject aims: firstly to select historically most important and major eastern cultural heritage and assets in eastern history, centered mainly on the period of the ancient age; secondly to evaluate their characteristics, greatness and values; lastly to explain the historical background, thoughts and events related with their heritages.
- ANCIENT WESTERN HISTORY
- A deeper study of political, economic, social and cultural aspects of history of Ancient Greece and Rome, empasizing t he development of democracy of the Greek polis state and republic of Rome, the essence of Helenism and the rise of Chris tianity.
- HISTORY OF ANCIENT KOREA
- Study politics, economy, society, culture from the prehistoric age to the Shilla.
- THE KORYO HISTORY
- Consider politic, economy, society, culture in the Koryo dynasty.
- CAREER DESIGN
- 1. Summary of the course This course is to let the students to set the career goal at the early stage of university life through systematic and continuous counselling and instruction on CRM achievement and change of career designed by the students after the admission to the university. This course is to let the students attain career management method and edit, complement and confirm the CRM in a systematic manner by self analysis and analysis of employment competence while the course is being taught. Also, this course is to utilize video lecture as the secondary teaching material to let the students have competency in employment. 2. Course objectives This course is to assist to the enrolled students in designing their own employment plan for themselves by the education of drafting application materials for employment (resume, statement of purpose and application forms), communication skills and presentation skills. Furthermore, the course ultimate goal of guiding the students to systematically design (manage) CRM at each grade of the university with the counselling by the supervising professor until the time of graduation.
- HISTORY DISPUTES IN ASIA
- The contents of historical disputes between Korea, China, Japan, and Southeast Asia will be reviewed to raise awareness of historical understanding and further look into the history of reconciliation in East Asia.
- HISTORY OF KOREAN THOUGHT
- Study of the structures and characteristics of the Korean traditional Confucianism, Buddhism, Sil-hak and the Enlightenment.
- JAPANESE HISTORY AND CULTURE
- This subject is to provide history studnets the basic knowledge on the Japanese histroy and culture and to get the job traioning in this field. As a neighboring state of the Korean Peninsular Japan, together with China, has been historically an important nation which has maintained close political and cultural relations with the Korean people and states of the peninsular. In addition, despite of her disastrous defeat in the World War Two, Japan has grown into one of the most influential state internationally as a super economic power next to only the United State of America. It is thus imperative for Korean students of high educational institution to study historical process of Japanese political, cultural development. Such a study of Japan provides the bases of better and correct understanding of the Japanese people and Japan as a state, which has special relation with the Korean people. From such a viewpoint this course is a survey history of Japan, which will cover from the time of prehistoric periods to the Meijji Restoration period which transformed the feudal Japan into a full modern state, having embraced modern socio-political system from the West in late 19th century.
- MEDIEVAL ASIAN HISTORY
- This lecture will mainly and comprehensively with chinese history from the 3rd century to the late 18th century. It will cover the noble-lineage system and the land policy characteristics of this period. Asian history from the 10th century to the 18th century. Students should understand the characteristics of the traditional Asian societies before its transition to modern times.
- MEDIEVAL WESTERN HISTORY
- Deeper study of the political, institutional and social development of Medieval feudalism, the characteristics of medieval culture and christianity, the rise of medieval commerce and cities.
- MODERN HISTORY OF KOREA
- The aim of this subject is to investigate the defensive reformation of Korean Society against the western capitalism and the invasion of Japanese Empire.
- WOMANKIND HISTORY OF KOREA
- This class examines change of womankind in each period and present reflection through reconsidering feminism.
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 3- 1
- CONTROVERSIES IN MODERN KOREAN HISTORY
- Improve analytic vision and deepen critical mind modern history.
- HISTORY OF SOUTHEAST ASIA
- we are exploring the historical and cultural developing process of some or all south-east asian nations with consideration about their contemporary influence ability and traditional historical importance and are also researching their historical meaning among south-east asian nations
- SOCIETY AND CULTURE IN ANCIENT KOREA
- Culture means entire human life. Ancient people chose and fix on comfortable area to move actively. So, in this class, study politic group from prehistoric age to the Shilla, understand ancient korean culture by historical material.
- TEACHING METHODOLOGY OF HISTORY
- This course is designed to explore the business history. Topics include: various theories of business history, business history from ancient age up to the present and the comparative study of corporate cultures.
- WESTERN GREAT MEN AND THOUGHT
- A special lecture on the intellectual development of Europe from the Classical Greek to the contemporary periods.
- CONTEMPORARY HISTORY OF KOREA
- This subject aims to understand the primary works, the method of investigation and basic structure in Korean contemporary historical research. For this, we’ll examine the materials of established researches centering the spread of contemporary history science from the liberation of August, 1945 to the revolution in April, 1960.
- MODERN ASIAN HISTORY
- Purpose of this course is to help students understanding various issues and ]problems China and other East Asian countries had faced in the course of transition from traditional society to modern society by studying in detail developments of political and intellectual history of East Asian countries. This course include: Concepts of modern times and East Asians history: The Opium War: The Taiping Revolutionary Movement: The Tung-chih Reformation: The Yang-wu Movement: Anti-Christian Movement: The Sino-Japanese War; The Boxer’s Movement: The Reform Policies of the Ch’ing Government: The Constitutional Movement, and The Revolution of 1991.
- MODERN WESTERN HISTORY
- A deeper study of historical structure in the European history from early 16th through late 19th century, treating with Renaissance, Reformation and Commercial Revolution in the transitional period, English and French revolutions, Industrial revolution and labor movements, the rise and fall of liberalism and nationalism, and the nature of modern cultural development in the 19th century.
- THE CHOSUN HISTORY
- Examine political, economic, social, culture from the founding of Chosun to Japanese invasion of Korea in 1592. Especially study “Sungrihak” a reign doctrine of Chosun dynasty and development of Chosun. Understand that development of the people toward the leading of the feudalism society’s dissolution.
- BRITISH HISTORY AND CULTURE
- This course consists of two parts. One is to learn the natural environment of Britain, the chronicle of British history, and the meanings of major events which decided the historical path of the globe as well as Britain. The other is to study themes and topics related to British culture, such as food, sports, and music, in order to be well acquainted with its history and society.
- CAPSTONE DESIGN
- This course is designed for the junior students majoring in History. By education and practicing student's historical knowledge in a convergent way, we intend to promote the theoretical understanding of history and cultivate the application ability of major theory.
- FIELD WORK 1
- The objective of this course is designed for the students in the major of history to achieve both the practical knowledge and experience in the related job fields.
- HISTORY AND CULTURE FOR CAREER DEVELOPMENT
- 1. to search for the job spheres which are directly associated with the majors of Korean History, Eastern History, Western History, Clutural Anthropology and Archaeology and to foster the realistic and practical job mind. 2. to obtain the more professional knowledge through the lectures and teachings in the detailed applied and practical spheres, to help the students to find out the their own appropriated talents and to set up the long-term planning for career development. 3. to teach the basic knowledge in the archive studies, museum studies, methodological studies for creating cultural contents from the specialists and to help students to prepare the official examinations for licences in each field effectively. 4. to provide the opportunities to learn practicalities as an apprentice or intern in the work places and business fields and develop the job potentialities of students with self-confidence.
- HISTORY OF LIVING IN MEDIEVAL KOREA
- This course studies life of people from the Shilla to the Koryo through many historical materials and ruins of Korea.
- METHOD & RESEARCH OF HISTORY TEACHING MATERIALS
- Introduction to methods and techniques employed in investigation and reporting educational problems. Suggested for all candidates in education for undergraduate degrees. In addition, this course deals with methodological issues and problems in education.
- POLITICS AND CULTURE IN CHOSUN
- This course studies politics and culture in Chosun in more mutual ways, not individually and abstractly.
- READINGS IN ASIAN HISTORICAL LITERATURE
- This lecture is for students who understand the general idea of the chronicles, and to select and teach about historically valuable documents.
- RUSSIAN HISTORY AND CULTURE
- This subject is to provide histroy students the basic knowledge of Russian history and culture in oder to help them to choose th job opportunities in thie areas. A general introduction to the historical development from the early Kievan period of 9th century to the present post-perestroika, emphasizing the similarity and dissimilarity with the historical structure of western Europe, and making familiar with main controversial issues and literature in the interpretation of Russian history.
- SOCIOECONOMIC HISTORY OF KOREA
- Comprehensive study of the economic structure and social life in premodern Korea and its structure and changes from the introduction of modern capitalism.
- TOPICS IN ANCIENT KOREAN HISTORY
- Examine the ancient Korean history's problem by Issues.
- CONTEMPORARY ASIAN HISTORY
- The purpose of the course is to help students have balanced picture of the present situation of today’s China and understand the process of her contemporary historical development. Thus this course deals with all aspects of important political and social events of contemporary Chinese history from 1910’s to the establishment of the People’s Republic of China in Oct. 1949 in general fashion. The lecture will cover important social and political events and important matters of the period from the Revolution of 1911 and Republical period to the May Fourth Movement and National Revolution, and to the Nanking government, the Japanese invasion and Chinese resistance, and the KMT-CCP civil war.
- CONTEMPORARY WESTERN HISTORY
- This subject aims: firstly to select historically most important and major eastern cultural heritage and assets in eastern history. centered mainly on the period of the ancient age: secondly to evaluate their characteristics, greatness and values; lastly to explain the historical background, thoughts and events related with their heritages.
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 4- 1
- FIELD WORK 2
- The objective of this course is designed for the students in the major of history to achieve both the practical knowledge and experience in the related job fields.
- HISTORY OF AMERICA
- A general introduction to the historical development from the pilgrimage period of America to the present time, examini g the tradition of American liberalism, Revolution of Independence, Civil War, the growth of Industrial capitalism in the 19th century, the reconstruction of American society on the corporate liberalism during the two World Wars, the nature of the role of America in the post-war international relationship.
- THE LOGIC AND WRITING OF HISTORY
- "The logic and writing of history" aims to improve the logical and positive capabilities through presentation, discussion and writing. And this class encourages students to deeply understand history, historical theory and history of historiography not to mention to improve the basic abilities for historical logics and historical writing, analyzing and synthesizing the typical research products of debatable events, people and thinking in the historiography.
- UNDERSTANDING OF THE PRACTICAL SCIENCE
- Explanation of new trend practical science have something with the Latter Chosun especially, explanation Yu hyunggouon, Yi Yik, Jung yakyong thought.
- CHINESE GREAT MEN AND THOUGHT
- This lecture will overview the theories of a historical times and their leading ideas being the historical phenomena coming from the 'Zeitgeist'(the spirit of the times).
- CHINESE SOCIAL ECONOMY HISTORY
- This lecture deals chronologically with Asian history in terms of socio-economics, or how the development and changes in society and economy connects to the division of historical period.
- HISTORY OF THE SILK ROAD AND NOMADS
- The subject aims; first to investigate the history and the culture of Silk Road that has been a point of contract between the East and the West, has tributed to form two civilizations, second to reexamination the history and the culture of nomads from the point of view nomads who have been residents in Urasian steppes. By doing this we can approach "the world history from the view of nomad."
- MODERN KOREAN ETHNIC MOVEMENT HISTORY
- Deal with anti-imperialism from 1860 to period of colonization.
- TOPICS IN WESTERN HISTORY
- A study of special issues and controversial topics on Western history which are not covered in the general courses.
- TOPICS OF CHOSUN HISTORY
- This course rectures on some unique topics in Chosun dynasty - the social position system, the history of politics represented with " Sa-hwa" and "Dang-jeng", the land system"Ga Jun Bob", "Sungrihak" and the local system in order to prescribe the character of "Yang-ban" society. In addition to, we will review the recent works and discuss the prospects of the future research.
- HISTORY OF KOREAN LOCAL SYSTEM
- Reconsider the regional characteristics and relate to governmental history.